Wednesday, July 12, 2006

mission impossible?
...my goal is to cease being an infrequent blogger. i'm not sure if i can keep up with doug but anything is possible. my husband tells me that i am really great at expressing my thoughts. my problem is that i contemplate a thought too long and too deep, trying to perfect it and i just need to start putting my fingers to the keyboard more often!

misc
...it hit me the other day that my family is not normal and to an outsider we might be considered outcasts. we believe in Jesus but we do not attend a church. we educate our children, although they have never attended a public/private school. we do not work 9-5 to get a paycheck (this is the illusion of security), we take "risks" and invest our money into building homes. we have a 9 ft projector screen in our theater room but we watch very little T.V. and we don't even have TiVo!

...i just finished reading the book, "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge. when i opened the book to the first page, it read Burwick and i realized that i had borrowed this book from my sister who knows how long ago....so, kelley, i will be sending it back to you soon! it is always intriguing to me to read about the way God created us, male and female. the other day, while cleaning my boys' room with them, i stopped counting at 35 weapons (mostly toys thus far, with exception of the bow and arrows)! at any given time if you stopped by our house, the odds are that the scene would play out something like this: damon and clay would both be dressed in a cape and holding a sword or in camouflage clothing, combat boots and amo in hand-- our princess, ella, would be dressed up from tierra all the way down to the sparkle high heel shoes shouting, "SAVE THE PRINCESS!" men have such a deep desire for adventure, they want a beauty to fight for, they long to be dangerous, they need to hear that they "have what it takes" to be a man (Eldredge). every woman has the little girl inside that says, "am i lovely, am i worth fighting for?" (Eldredge) the author discusses the "wound" that happens in each of us if we do not hear these words from our parents.

...summer has been much cooler living here in the mountains, so we continue to enjoy our outdoor adventures. the kids' have had swim lessons and clay trained for two weeks with the Diamondback Baseball Camp. we visit my parents' and my sister's family who are about an hour away as often as we can, we definitely love them because the weather is nothing short of hell there during the summer! we had a great visit with our very best friends, the reinerts, as we celebrated lisa's birthday! my kids have become much closer to their grandma who now lives 8 miles from us. i have been very grateful for her desire to spend time with them each week--the kids beg for us to go on dates and stay out late just so they can spend time hiking (and eating unlimited amounts of cookies!) at grandma's house! she has graciously volunteered to take the kids one day a week to allow me to balance my homeschooling and bookkeeping schedule with some sort of sanity! my friend, suzanne and i are also coordinating a co-op twice a month for our home school group--as if i didn't have enough to do! i am teaching a literature class for the younger kids and it is going to be a lot of fun!